Speak your mind
Saturday, December 20, 2008

If there's one word to describe AdJam'08, it has gotta be: AWESOME. It wasn't as awkard as I had anticipated, since everyone was all enthusiastic and hyperactive (naturally, as true ODACians are). I had loads and loads of FUN and of course PURE ADRENALINE BLISS!! Yeah.. I made quite alot of new friends too! And we shared lots and lots of cool ODAC experiences. The NUS, SMU, NTU & SIM ODACians taught us new skills and campcraft. Gosh, I had no idea there's SOOO much to learn when it comes to outdoor stuff. Hahaha. But on the other hand, I learnt some of the ways of university life. Weird and cool at the same time. Wonder if I'd ever adapt to that. Hmm. Wonder if I'd even manage to get in. =/
On the first day, we gathered at the Changi Jetty at 8am to leave for Pulau Ubin. Yeah. So I had to wake up at unearthly hours of the morning that day. When we reached Pulau Ubin, we realised PJC ODAC was the last to arrive (aw man!). So we mingled around and played ice- breaker games within our groups. Luckily I had Darryl in my group, or I'd be so lost. LOL.
We started off with some Orienteering activities, so we participated in Navigating, Fire Lighting, Bushcraft and Shelter-building activities. We certainly learn quite alot of cool stuff! I never knew one could start a fire using steel wool and a 9-volt battery, or using glycerin and potassium permanganate.
We did field cooking for dinner using instant noodles, chicken, sardines, vegetables, spaghetti and minestrone soup! Yeah, kinda weird cos I don't think we would ever find those stuff in the outdoors. Have you seen a spaghetti tree growing in the forest? LOL. But anyways we had LOADS of fun cooking and mixing the food until it became rojak. Hahaha.
Our night activities were SUPER. We had to travel around the entire island with torchlights and only lightsticks to guide us around. Think that's easy? Don't forget there are no streetlamps in Ubin and our torchlights couldn't even light up the whole road. My group completed 5 out of six stations until the time was up. One of the stations was uber creepy (waaay creepier than solo night walk) cos we had to walk through a jungle path without torchlights and search for a pingpong ball. I think the darkness was the worse part cos I walked right up to a freaky scarecrow without spotting it and when I finally saw it, I totally freaked out. LOL.
We slept in tents at night without bathing cos there wasn't a drop of clean water on Ubin. Geez. But everyone was too tired to think about it. Slept at 2.45am and woke up at 6am. We set off for mainland (ah! clean water) and took buses to the MOE Dairy Farm Adventure Centre. Then we got our mountain bikes and set off through the super rocky and super bumpy terrain.
WOW. I TOTALLY LOVE MOUNTAIN BIKING. I like the bumpy feeling when the bike bounces off the rocks. Stupid Darryl was engrossed in the motorbike-like sound his bike made cos a leaf got stuck in the wheel. Sheesh. Fancy me telling him to grow up when he keeps calling me a 'small girl'. But on the downside, mountain biking is quite dangerous. One girl even did a 360 with her bike! Yikes! Luckily she wasn't hurt. But it wasn't so fortunate for a guy who fell off his bike and broke his nose. Gosh. There was blood all over his face and still flowing like mad. We pedalled like mad and by the time we reached the endpoint, we were covered in mud, axle grease and perspiration plus our legs were sore.
Then we had lunch and proceeded to the quarry to do rockclimbing. It was really challenging physically as we were still exhausted from the cycling. But we managed to climb the natural rock walls. Abseiling was easier though. And by the time we were done, we were all damn shag. It's been quite a while since I felt as drained. Maybe back when I was in Sabah. But I still love the feeling cos I know I'm staying fit, fit, fit!
Took the bus to NUS and had dinner while we worked on our campfire performances. During the campfireme, everyone suddenly went HIGH. Either it was the bubbly atmosphere or something they put in our food that made us that way. Hahaha. We definitely had loads of fun cos we went totally wild and actually started running while doing the Thousand Legged Worm. I know you're thinking: 'What the hell?' But you can't blame us, running is like our second nature. (:
Smile with me
"The really happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery, even when they have to take a detour" - Sir James Jeans.About me
g R e E n B e A nLinks
&; Cindy CmlArchives
%u2605February 2008Layout Credits
&; Image : Getty Images